Streaming Process Chain in SAP BW
In the world of analytics, real — time reporting has been sought after, as more and more business analytics requirements are based on real time or near real time data. Having metrics and KPIs available on a notch enables users to make much better, more informed decisions. So how does it work with SAP BW?
When running a BW system on the SAP HANA database, one must consider streaming process chain for updating data in real-time to advanced DataStore objects.
Earlier Real-Time Data Acquisition (RDA) was related concept for updating data in real-time. However, after the introduction of ADSO functions, RDA was no longer accessible. As a result, the existing framework of process chain is way to implement real-time reporting.
Also Read: A Guide to ADSO Functions in SAP BW4HANA
Streaming process chain can be executed very frequently and makes it possible to update data in real-time to SAP BW Infoproviders. Process chains therefore provide a solution for periodic and very frequent scheduling and for streaming dataloads. They therefore serve to simplify the architecture of SAP BW/4HANA.
This post throws light on the meaning, key functions, and utilities related to Streaming Process Chain so that one can make most of it.
Steaming Process Chain — meaning and overview
Streaming is an operation mode in BW process chain which can be set in the properties of each process chain. When a process chain is running, each step takes a certain amount of time; the interesting question is what happens, when the chain is started again -maybe even several times- during this period, and the execution reaches the process which is already running from a previous execution?
- If it is a classic process chain scheduled in the background, then the next execution will wait for 10 minutes for the previous run to complete. If the previous run is not completed within this period, the next execution will get cancelled and process chain will fail with an error.
- A process chain with streaming mode is executed using a new Queued Task Manager Framework. This enables a flexible number of “worker” jobs that get the next process from a queue. If subsequent execution reaches to the current active process, these requests to start this process once more are written to a queue only. As soon as the current process is completed, the worker job receives all these start requests for a given process and restarts the process just once: It takes the most recent chain execution from the queue and executes it. This means that the second and third chain executions are dropped, and only the most recent chain execution is continued.
In summary, streaming process chain facilitates frequent dataload from source system to SAP BW system without any scheduling error. As a result, data can be retrieved in real-time with the latency of minute.
Types of Processes support Streaming
Processes that trigger a process chain for streaming:
Data transfer processes (DTPs) for a (real-time) SAP HANA DataSource or ODP DataSource
Processes that can be used in and run-in process chains for streaming:
DataStore-Object (advanced) activation
AND, OR, EXOR
Data transfer process that transfers data changes (deltas) between objects that use the new request administration (RSPM), or data transfer processes that transfer data changes (deltas) directly from the remote source object.
Processes that are not allowed in a process chain for streaming:
All other processes, for example deletion and housekeeping processes
Options for Triggering a Process Chain for Streaming
We have the following options when triggering a process chain for streaming:
SAP BW system receives a trigger from ODP Daemon in the source system if a new record is generated. This event immediately starts execution of the process chain which transfers the new data to the SAP BW InfoProviders.
This is the preferred mechanism for ODP sources because the process chain runs only when new record is available in the source system. The process chain requires to be scheduled once in streaming mode; the definition of periodic repetitions is not required.
The daemon has to be scheduled as regular job ODQ_DAEMON_CLIENT_xxx in the SAP source system (tr. ODQMON, GoTo/Real-Time Daemon…). Default it will check every 15 Sec for an update and sends an event to BW if there are any.
- This mode is only available for ODP DataSources of type SAP Extractors, ABAP CDS Views, BW InfoProviders and SLT.
- Another precondition is that DataSource is Delta-capable:
- DataSources need to support Streaming (“Streaming can be triggered by this DataSoure “)
SAP BW system checks frequently (Approximately each 60 seconds) if a new record is generated in the source system. If this check is successful, the process chain will start immediately to transfer the new data to the target InfoProvider. The process chain requires to be scheduled once in streaming mode; the definition of periodic repetitions is not required. This is the preferred mode for HANA sources, because the process chain executes only when new record is available in the source system.
- This mode is available for HANA DataSources only.
- The DataSources must have Delta-capability.
- If the source system type is HANA_LOCAL or HANA_MDC (BW/4HANA) / HANA with connection type “Local SAP HANA Database Schema” (BW 7.5), check additional requirements in SAP note 2372534.
- If the source system type is HANA_SDA (BW/4HANA) / HANA with connection type “SAP HANA Smart Data Access” (BW 7.5), it is important which type of remote connection is in use.
Streaming property is a cool feature of process chain concept in SAP BW. It provides a flexible toolset to load data as fast as possible into a BW InfoProvider. The preferred mechanisms are the PUSH mode and the Intelligent PULL mode, as they only trigger the DTP execution if new source data is generated.
Also Read: SAP DWC: The Future of Data Warehousing
Real-time reporting and ADSO functions offering have made SAP BW/4HANA stand out from the crowd as a dependable data warehousing solution. With features like 100 percent accuracy in transactions and statistics, utilising it is undoubtedly the best choice.
At Stridely Solutions, one has the facility to ensure assiduous utilization of SAP BW/4HANA as there are seasoned SAP experts by your side. Contact SAP BW/4HANA specialists at Stridely Solutions today.